I know this one of the most asked question. As many of the working professionals are worried. As a working professional we think that if we get any MBA or PG Management programme, it help us to get a better job and also allow us to get promotion and a better position which is unfortunately not. Yes, an MBA helps becuase in case if your team member/ reportee is more "qualified" than you then the company feel hesitant to promote you. The HR has a challenge and even I have observed this common issue and hence a company want you to upgrade your qualification. I do not feel any wrong on this. However, does this mean should we opt any management programme or any institute?
Beware, you will be in trouble. Because the institute may be selling its brand name but not giving an MBA to you and in most of the cases, the qualification you are receiving may not be equivalent to an MBA. I completely agree that alone MBA does not make you a great manager, the most important factor is your own ability and quality. MBA can just help to extend your knowledge. The attributes for success is application of mind, knowledge, decision making ability and understanding.
Well, coming back to the main point how to choose an MBA programme, I suggest that first of decide why do you want to do an MBA- for promotion, to have an MBA tag? for higher education and research? For knowledge?
Just for namesake, you can do it from anywhere even from a fake institute who offers MBA in 3-6 months but please note that the world is very clever. Even you add MBA in your resume, the world will ask- from where... so avoid such institutes. Also, please note that opt for part time/ Executive/ Distance MBA only if you are working and have around 2 years experience. If you are a fresher, never opt for a distance/ part time/ executive MBA as it will not help you to get a job. Also note that none of the college offer placement support for distance learning/ executive/ part time students, you have to search a job by your own.
So, how to choose an institute? My answer is as follows:
1. The faculty should not be only from teaching background (Must have on job experience so you will get better knowledge on what is happening in the industry)
2. The faculty should have vast industry experience
3. The faculty should have good communication and language command
4. The entirely distance learning MBA is of no use, it must have compulsory lecture and attedance
5. It must be approved by UGC and it must be from either a state or central university
6. It must have case study method and evaluation should be based on case study too.
So consideting this, I feel following institute's MBA in distance mode is preferred
2. Pondicherry University
3. Anna University
4. University of Madras
5. Evening MBA of JNTU Hyderabad
6. Evening MBA of FMS, Delhi
7. Part time MFM, MHRM, MMM etc. of University of Mumbai from only following institutes: Welingkar, JBIMS, KJ Somiayya etc. not from all colleges
8. Evening MBA programme of University of Madras
10. Part time Diploma in HRM from Tata Institute of Social Sciences (although it is not equivalent to MBA but lecture delivery method and knwledge provided is same as of full time student and holds good market value however you cannot do Ph.D or any other research courses on the basis of this programme)
I strongly recommned to people that first of all they should go for a part time or executive MBA programme from reputed institutes only. Please do not go for a fully online/ distance learning MBA programme it will add no value to your portfolio.
I strongly do not recommend following programme and institute
1. Any PG Diploma programme offered by SCDL (Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning) such as PGDIT, PGDBA, PGDHRM etc.
2. Any PG Diploma / Diploma in management programme offered under distance learning by Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
3. Any Exec. MBA offered by ITM, Kharghar and any other ITM throughout the nation
4. MBA from Madurai Kamraj University, ICFAI, Sikkim Manipal University etc.
5. Any PG Diploma in management offered throgh distance learning mode by any institute.
6. Wigan and Leigh college (WLC)- Because I found their quality iss very poor. One of my earlier reportee had no basic knowledge of the HR function and had no ability to take smallest decision as business HR
The reason is SCDL, Welingkar and other distance learning institute's PG Diplomas are not equivalent to MBA and their evaluating method is such that even a 10th standard can pass such exam. So it is useless.
You may contact me before taking admission anywhere for a free and unbiased opinion.